To form my piece I first used a rib tool to smooth the surface. I then placed the sketch of my relief tile on top of the clay and used a wooden tool to carve the design into the tile. Next, I carved out the areas where I wanted subtractive relief and then smoothed the clay with a rub again. I then used the extra clay to sculpt my additive pieces with my hands. I slipped and scored those pieces on to my tile and used a wooden tool to seal them. I let my piece dry to bone dry and then it was fired. I used yellow, dark green, red, and China white underglaze to glaze my tile.
My intended theme was the joy from decorating the Christmas tree with my family and I expressed that using Christmas colors with a bright, joyful yellow background of an ornament hanging on a branch.
I had problems glazing my piece. The branch had very skinny needles that needed to be glazed green, which took a lot of patience. The additive piece that attached the ornament to the tree was also hard to glaze on and around, because it was white and was hovering over the clay below.
I would have have made thicker needles on the tree branch and not made the pieces attaching the ornament to the tree additive. I would do this because it would have made glazing easier and therefore make my piece look more clean.
My strengths on my piece are my sculpting of the branch and all the different layers of clay that I think worked nicely together as one relief tile.